Friday 31 August, 2007

Homecoming...

Staying away from home is not easy....you simply miss the feeling of carelessness and warmth that only home can provide. Those fights over the TV remote with bro, Papa shouting at us (with no avail) that we should grow up and behave our age, Mom cooking our fav things which she had probably not cooked for quite some time thinking "bachche jab aayenge tab banaaongi" and we simply sneaking into the kitchen to take a bite of the garam pakoras making her yell "haath toh dho lo", "garam hain abhi, thande ho jaane do, warna muh jal jaayega!!!".

So it was simply a treat for mind, body and soul when I finally managed to take a break from my hectic schedule and was coming home on a 2 weeks vacation. Tell you something, no matter how much we grow up, our parents just forget that. We grow up, they don't. So before my d-day, I would still get to hear things like...."Pack your bags properly", "Don't forget your ticket", "Don't take a nap at the airport"...and well, i simply listen to all these advices. Do I have an alternate...or rather do I actually want an alternate?? :)

My usual day at home is spent in sleeping till my body signals me that it is too tired to sleep further, having gossip sessions with Mom, enjoying yummy food, watching TV, laughing over some stupid ads, doing some small home chores, helping Mom in the kitchen and just doing nothing at times.

Well, there's another side of the story also to this "kahani ghar ghar ki". When I am at home, I do sometimes miss the restlessness of my usual working day, kabhi-kabhi toh bore bhi ho jaata hai since I have nothing to do. I keep eating my Mum's head that let's go somewhere, may be for some shopping or just roaming around. And then, she comes up with this brilliant plan...."sabzi khatam ho gayi hai ghar mein...tu mere saath sabzi lene chal"....aaarrrghhh!!! "Ma shopping didnt mean buying groceries", I would retort. But then she promises to buy me an ice-cream...and yo! I would be as happy as a 3 year old..."okay, i'll come with you" and off I go....

I am very fond of applying mehendi on my hands and wouldn't miss a chance whenever I get it. So this time, while shopping for veggies with Mummy, I spotted a shop selling Mehendi cones, and I bought a cone. Since it was Rakhi next day so entire evening spent in applying Mehendi on my own hand and then my mom's hand. It came out pretty neat...and the colour was fabulous. Then Ma told me about good old days when she would apply Mehendi on my hands when I was a kid and then she made sure that I don't spoil it while sleeping coz I would make such a ruckus in the morning if by any chance my mehendi got spoiled...haha...such a lil brat I was :)

These small sweet things make staying at home fun. And yes, I am having loadsa fun!!!

4 comments:

Atmdeo said...

Hey nice post! Homely feel is something you dont get anywhere else

Love, Humor, Power said...

nostalgic for me................was a good read though.....

Rahul... in City of Dreamz said...

looks like someone is enjoying an extended homecoming :)

Nidhi said...

@'a' rod
Totally agree wid you :)

@magnet
Thanks!!!

@Rahul
Yeah...I did have quite a relaxing time at home. After coming back, it felt like my summer vacations are over :)